Founded in Philadelphia in 1833, the American Anti-Slavery Society advocated the immediate end to slavery in the United States. It was a crucial organization that helped make both abolition and anti-slavery national issues of public concern. The society petitioned Congress to end slavery many times,
The American Missionary Association was founded in 1846 in Albany, New York by abolitionist Protestant missionaries who were disappointed by existing missionary societies' refusal to adopt abolitionist policies. The group established missions in the Pacific, Africa, and the Caribbean, advocated for African Americans' political and civil rights before, during, and
The Anti-Slavery Society of Canada was founded in 1851 on the two pillars of education and relief work. It was founded by Canadian abolitionists who observed the need to support fugitive from slavery entering Canada from the United States after the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act. The Society used lawful, peaceable, moral, and religious means to end slavery in the
The B & O Railroad successfully connected eastern port cities (most obviously, Baltimore) with a region known as the Ohio Country and, eventually, the Mississippi River. The railroad project began in 1828 by a group of prominent Baltimore businessmen, and was dubbed "the Railroad University of the United States" because of its novelty and its influence on later U.S. railroading
The American Colonization Society was formed in 1816, with the mission of sending free blacks to Africa as an alternative to emancipation and integration. This was a demonstration of the belief that blacks could never be fully integrated into white society. Supporters of the group included philanthropists, clergy, abolitionists, and even slave owners.
The Philadelphia Female Anti-Slavery Society was formed shortly after the creation of the American Anti-Slavery Society in 1833. Women were not allowed to be members of the AASS, although a few were allowed to speak at the founding
The school, located in Nashville, Tennessee, was founded in 1865 and established as a university in 1867 with the support of the American Missionary Association. It was one of the first universities to open its doors to all—regardless of race—and its Jubilee Hall was the first permanent building
Publication of the Frederick Examiner began in 1813 and it is the oldest, continually running newspaper in Frederick County and the oldest running newspaper under the same name in Maryland. The paper reported extensively on the U.S. Civil War and also ran